Wednesday 24 June 2015

A Reveal

I love when the new issues of Love Patchwork & Quilting come out. I love it more when I have a project in them and I can finally show you what I've been working on. 

You all know that I fell in love with the Lighthearted line of fabric so it will come as no surprise that I begged Jenny (the editor) to let me make something with it for the magazine. She's super nice so she said yes. 

I made two cushions - one epp and one pieced - to suit people who had preferred methods of sewing and different skills. I have to say the epp one is my favourite. 


I had fun making a very traditional epp project and then appliquéing it to navy linen and using some 12w Aurifil to give real impact to the quilting. 

The second cushion has a bit of a look of an epp project but is indeed completely machine pieced. 


I wish I had bought more Lighthearted than I did, because I just know these are fabrics I will want to have in my stash for a long time, taking a fussy cut here and a fussy cut thee as the mood strikes. The fabrics also have fabulous borders on some of the prints and I utilised these when I was making the ba Kings for the cushions. 


I pieced borders onto other fabrics for contrast.


Ha! What a difference between the professional magazine photography and mine! But it is what it is. 

Anyway, I really loved the first cushion in particular so am very happy to finally be able to show you. As I've said before, having commissions is fabulous. Not being able to show you progress shots when I'm making them sucks. But it does seem to give me regular ta-dah moments. And those are fun. 

Susan 



12 comments:

  1. They're both fantastic cushions! I love the quilting you did on the epp cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what lovely pillows you've made with Ayumi's Lighthearted fabrics! Your design on the EPP one is so clever and eye catching! On both you've made great use of the varied prints. Such inspiring projects...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the EPP one best too but I've got a bit of a thing for it at the moment. The two will look great together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are wonderful. I love a having a new EPP pattern to try. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on another magazine shoot - and having your work showcased. Thats fantastic news!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan! These are both most beautiful pillows and the Fabrics are Super! I'm late, just bought the last issue. I hope to find this soon in my local magazin shop. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those cushions, especially the first one, it showcases that fabric line perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I like the epp best . I know I like the epp best , it's the quilting against the navy background

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful. I adore lighthearted too. Only got myself a tiny bit of the floral. And then it was all gone from my LQS.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.