Wednesday 11 April 2012

Birdie Update

Yesterday I told you that I had the backing fabric for One for the Birds. I paid a visit to Ikea when we were in Newcastle. I had several reasons for going. I buy their unbleached cotton in bulk because it is so good for the insides of cushions, etc and as it is only £1.59 a metre it is a super buy. I also wanted to get some of the black and white number fabric that you are seeing so many places in blogland. And they stopped selling it! Only a couple of weeks prior to me going in. Huummmffff! Not pleased by that at all. I had plans for that fabric to back a quilt I have in mind.

I did buy an appropriate backing fabric for the birds though. It has birds on it - obviously - but I think it is low key enough to make it good for the back. What do you think?


That's the unbleached cotton underneath it. All 5+ metres of it. That should keep me going for quite a while!

So today I made some more bird blocks. They are not my priority right now. But I dug out the ones I had made and thought it would be good to add a few more to the pile. I have a plan to try and make about a half dozen a week between other projects and in a few weeks I will have used a piece of every last bird fabric that I have and when the time comes can start turning my mind to how on earth I am going to piece all these disparately sized blocks. Meanwhile, I will stick my head in the sand and ignore the problem.



On a final note today - I need the girls to go back to school. Not because they are being little horrors or anything. They are being remarkably nice, for them. No, it is because if I have to do another grocery shop with them I will never have any spending money for the FQ Retreat. The number of requests I got to buy this, and that, and the other. I said no to all the sugar based items. But how do you say no to the nori sheets so they can make more sushi, or the fresh pineapple, or mangos? How do you refuse them yogurt that has never seen a bit of chocolate? Or put the cereal that is yummy, and healthy, and expensive back on the shelf? I am so crap at being tough at times.

Susan

25 comments:

  1. Loving that birdy fabric - when are Ikea going to come to Morocco, along with Waitrose and Tesco on my wishlist? Totally hear you on the `being tough` bit - so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forget your kids, I am not allowed to go to the grocery store for the same reason, especially if I am the slightest bit hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same bird fabric just waiting to become a perfect back for at quilt sometime in the future :) Ikea fabric is great for backing but in my experience you need to wash and tumbledry is first because it tends to shrink quilte a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go to the store with a list and cash in hand and I don't get anything that's not on my list. Problem solved!

    And I like the birds. I need to go to Ikea. It's only a 15-20 minute drive...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love your Ikea fabric!!! Maybe just let them have one 'request' (i.e. not on the list) item each per shopping trip? I don't envy you though!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bird fabric and the birdie blocks. I suggets shopping online when they have gone to bed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. your backing fabric is great xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. you and your girls are too funny. Thanks for making me laugh...love it. and the bird fabric is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bird fabric will be perfect backing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww such GOOD girls :-) Next time do a deal with them, make the shopping list with them before hand and then tell them they have £2.50 each worth of "can we get this.." and BUGGER ALL ELSE and if they deviate from the list or buget then some good stuff goes back on shelves... Yes. I am evil. I also have a spoilt rotten cat that I cant even say no to...

    ReplyDelete
  11. They stopped doing the numbers? Oh b*ll*cks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Ikea birdie fabric will be perfect for a backing! And don't you love it when they decide they won't stock something when you know that's exactly what you want! ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh let them eat cake!

    No, I'm kidding. I'm sure you're doing an excellent job being tough. I've heard the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! I know what you mean! That's one of the reasons I buy groceries online cos then they can't put in all their requests! I love the IKEA birdies, they will be perfect with your blocks. It's going to be a mathematically mind-bending quilt top that one! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Birdie fabric is just perfect! List, list and more lists for the shopping and one treat each! It's normally me that gets into trouble for list deviations :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love looking at Ikea fabric but when I get there I can never think of what Im going to do with all that loveliness.

    Perfect back for a bird quilt.

    Score! Sorry to hear you were disappointed about the other fabric. Want me to see if they still have some of what you want over here ?

    Its pretty hard to say no when they’re asking for healthy food...

    ReplyDelete
  17. How many bird blocks do you have now?

    I love the bird fabric!!! As soon as i post this comment i will be writing to daughter # 1 in Den Haag to go and buy some-- even if she is only 2 weeks from her due date! (well, maybe her husband will have to do that errand..)

    I wish i'd thought of Sarah's idea of so much 'can we get this' money each. This too shall pass. Now one is in Korea and one in the Netherlands and grocery troubles seem like a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that bird fabric. How did I miss it at my last trip to IKEA.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Ikea birdie fabric will work well. Well done you in finding it. The birdie block pile is looking full of lovely birds. As for the grocery shopping - have a list and stick to it, unless washing powder/loo roll/washing up liquid etc. are on offer. Not that I'm tough or anything, just got teenage boys! :)
    Di xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the bird fabric. When I was at Ikea, they didn't have that fabric. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love going food shopping with mine - we manage to get a sorts of nice things ! hehe just as well they don't come often!

    Didn't know backs of quilts were supposed to be subdued - oops! But the birdy fabric looks perfect! I may have a few birds you missed so far...?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've looked at that birdie fabric before, but didn't buy without a project in mind

    ReplyDelete
  23. love the ikea fabric it looks perfect to me,i buy loads of the £1.59 cotton too at that price !! its great i lined a couple of pairs of curtains with it !!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have some of those Ikea birds, I love them!

    I used to have to shop with my mum every week after school/work and I had to follow a list lol Bread and water for them I say (wholemeal bread though, obviously ;o) )

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think that fabric will be great for the birdies quilt.
    Your girls are chefs in the making for sure. I love how much they enjoy cooking as much as eating.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.