Wednesday 28 December 2011

Blogger's Choice Fat Quarter Bundle Contest

There is a new contest in the blogging world of quilting, over at Quokka Quilts. And it is a fun one. It involves browsing through fabrics for hours on end. Oh joy! Then choosing twelve coordinating prints and three solids to create your own Blogger's Choice Fat Quarter Bundle as can be found at the wonderful Fat Quarter Shop.

You then take your choices, create a mosaic with them, remember what all the fabrics are because you will need to list them separately, and link up with Quokka Quilts. Dozens of people have already created their bundles and it really is quite interesting seeing what fabrics people have chosen to put together. It is a good way to get new colour combination ideas and to see fabrics in a new light.

A panel of independent judges (aka - some lovely blogging stars) will judge all the submissions and the winning bundle will receive not FQs but 15 half yards of the fabric of their choice from the Fat Quarter Shop. Can you pass up the opportunity to enter this fun contest? I couldn't!

This, for better or worse, is the bundle that I came up with.


My fifteen fabrics are -

1. Floral Folio Aqua Large Florals Yardage SKU# Y0817-33
2. Crazy Daisy Turquoise Tile Yardage SKU# 4642-84
3.Whimsy Olive Delicate Florals Yardage SKU# 5609-66
4. Whimsy Pink Dotted Dots Yardage SKU# 5607-22
5. Crazy Daisy Citron with Turquoise Large Daisy Bloom Yardage SKU# 4640-44
6. Ruby Cotton Sherbet and Ruby Sundae Yardage SKU# 55037-24
7. Grand Bazaar White Sun Dot Yardage SKU# DS5071-WHIT-D
8. Garden District 54" Wide Green French Ribbon Yardage SKU# SAHB005-GREEN
9. Ooh La La Turquoise Pirouette Yardage SKU# DC5202-TURQ-D
10. Oval Elements Green Apple Yardage SKU# OE-902
11. Daisy Dance White Swirly Dots Yardage SKU# 7535-66
12. Bright Owl Lime Swirl Yardage SKU# C8372-Lime
13. Bella Solids Turquoise Yardage SKU# 9900-107
14. Kona Cotton Peridot Yardage SKU# K001-317
15. Michael Miller Lipstick Cotton Couture Solid Yardage SKU# SC5333-LIPS-D

And I have to say it is not as easy as you might think. Well, it wasn't for me. I made my choices but then when they were all in the mosaic together I could see which ones I didn't feel fit in properly and I went back and changed them, one by one, until I thought I had a balance. Damn fine way of wiling away a few hours though! I wouldn't like to rate my chances of doing well in this contest because putting fabrics of different lines together was never my strong point, but it was a good exercise in learning more.

This is a wonderful contest for self doubt because I worked on my choices for so long and the more I look at them, now that I am doing this post, the more I am second guessing if any of them are the correct choices! Best to hit the 'publish post' button and be done with it!

Susan

16 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job, Susan! Beautiful colors and a nice mix of large, medium, and small prints. Looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still fighting with mine and will probably continue to do so after I get home. Too many decisions while on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very 'happy' selection! I will publish mine tomorrow - if I haven't scrapped mine (again)! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job. I just spent an hour trying to do this and only chose 5 fabrics, so I gave up. I am terrible at choosing fabrics. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to have a go, but I think I'd lose the will to live spending so long choosing, up-loading, downloading, making a mosaic, hcanging it..........maybe if I wake up early one morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your choices Susan, so fresh and pretty! I can't wait to go do this challenge, just need to get home and get a few quiet hours on the sofa with the laptop :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So bright and cheery, I love your choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, great to know you're participating, too. I like your bold, joyful bundle very much. And I think looking at other people's choices is a great inspiration but it's dangerous too, as it leads to discovering new beautiful and tempting fabrics ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your fabrics are so bright and happy! Great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choices Susan! Can there be a wrong choice? - surely it depends on how you would use it!

    Definitely love your colour and print combinations! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool choice of colours there. I'm going to sit down to mine tomorrow once I've finished wrestling the 'great storage reshuffle'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely colours. It already looks like spring!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great choices, Miss Susan! I'm thinking it would be a dangerous way of losing cash/time to take part in this competition, but the prize is awfully tempting! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your color choice! The pink-green-blue combination is so beautiful. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your bundle is one of my favorites -- good job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.